At this point, you are probably aware that asbestos is a dangerous substance. Since the 1970s, the government has been aware of the danger and made sure your exposure is limited. However, this does not mean asbestos is not still in your environment in Louisiana. It does not mean that you will never come in contact with it. If you do have exposure or you know someone who has had exposure to asbestos in the past, there could be a risk for the development of a condition called asbestosis.
According to the Mayo Clinic, asbestosis is a condition caused by inhaling the fibers of asbestos. It creates a chronic or long-lasting problem with your lungs that could increase your chances of getting lung cancer, along with increasing your chances of other lung ailments.
It causes scar tissue in your lungs and may make you feel short of breath or chest pain. You may have clubbing of your fingers and toes, lose your appetite or feel short of breath. The symptoms may be mild, but they can range up to severe.
This is not a condition that happens right after exposure. It actually takes years to appear. Since asbestos is heavily regulated, it does not occur very often now, but it is still possible if you work in an industry where you have exposure and you are not following proper safety protocols. This is why it is imperative to always follow safety training when it comes to handling dangerous substances. This information is for education only. It is not legal advice.